Lih-Sheng (Tom) Turng, PHD
Position title: Professor and Co-Director, Polymer Engineering Center
- Aligned Research Focus:
- Tissue engineering scaffolds and drug delivery
Dr. Turng is also a Research Theme Leader at the Wisconsin Institute for Discovery (WID).
Turng’s research encompasses injection molding, nanocomposites, multi-functional materials, bio-based polymers, and tissue engineering. Turng’s role in tissue engineering and SCRMC is to help build smart biological constructs, scaffolds, and bioreactors that could be used as platforms to impose controllable biomechanical cues and stimulation that mimic the microenvironments to control and study the cell behavior and growth.
- Wang, D. F., Yu, X., Wang, X. F., Wang, H., Zhang, Y., Li, Q., and Turng, L. S., “Physical Shish-Kebab Modification vs. Chemical Surface Coating on Expanded Polytetrafluoroethylene Vascular Grafts for Enhanced Endothelial Cell Adhesion,” Materials & Design, 220, 110889, 2022. DOI:/10.1016/j.matdes.2022.110889.
- Yang, H., Román, A. J., Chang, T.-C., Yu, C., Jiang, J., Shotwell, D., Chen, E., Osswald, T. A., and Turng, L. S., “Cell Morphologies, Mechanical Properties, and Fiber Orientation of Glass Fiber-Reinforced Polyamide Composites: Influence of Subcritical Gas-Laden Pellet Injection Molding Foaming Technology,” Physics of Fluids, 34, n1, 10.1063/5.0078055, 2022. Editor’s Pick. DOI: 10.1063/5.0078055.
- Yu, C, Yang, H., Wang, L., Thomson, J. A., Turng, L. S., and Guan, G., “Surface Modification of Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) with a Heparin-immobilized Extracellular Matrix (ECM) Coating for Small-diameter Vascular Grafts Applications,” Materials Science and Engineering: C, 128, 112301, 2021. DOI: 10.1016/j.msec.2021.112301.
- Schmidt, G. A., Lin, Y. J., Xu, Y. Y., Wang, D. F., Yilmaz, G., and Turng, L. S., “Viscosity Characterization and Flow Simulation and Visualization of Polytetrafluoroethylene Paste Extrusion Using A Green and Biofriendly Lubricant,” Polymer Engineering and Science, 64, n4, 1050-1065, 2021. DOI: 10.1002/pen.25632.
- Aturaliya, R., Wang, D., Xu, Y. Y., Lin, Y. J., Li, Q., Turng, L. S., “Expanded Polytetrafluoroethylene/Graphite Composites for Easy Water/Oil Separation,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 12, 34, pp. 38241–38248, 2020. DOI: 10.1021/acsami.0c11583.