Jayne M. Squirrell, PHD
Position title: Senior Scientist, Molecular Biology
- Aligned Research Focus:
- Basic stem cell science
I am a senior research scientist in the UW Laboratory for Optical and Computational Instrumentation (LOCI), LOCI is a biophotonics research group directed by Kevin Eliceiri that develops novel computational and optical approaches for cell studies. At LOCI I combine my cell and developmental biology background with my significant experience in live cell imaging, particularly of embryonic development. I am interested in applying this expertise in a variety of areas related to development, stem cell differentiation and tissue regeneration. The collaborative research I conduct includes investigating potential metabolic “signatures” for cell differentiation state using fluorescence. I also study how the extracellular matrix impacts cell behavior and the ability of tissues to regenerate, with a particular focus on collagen re-organization during wound healing.
- Huemer K, Squirrell JM, Swader R, LeBert DC, Huttenlocher A, Eliceiri KW. (2017). zWEDGI: Wounding and Entrapment Device for Imaging Live Zebrafish Larvae. Zebrafish. 14:42-50.
- Lalit PA, Salick MR, Nelson DO, Squirrell JM, Shafer CM, Patel NG, Saeed I, Schmuck EG, Markandeya YS, Wong R, Lea MR, Eliceiri KM, Hacker TM, Crone WC, Kyba M, Garry DJ, Stewart R, Thomson JA, Downs KM, Lyons GE, and Kamp TJ. (2016). Lineage Reprogramming of Fibroblasts into Proliferative Induced Cardiac Progenitor Cells by Defined Factors. Cell Stem Cell. 18:354-367.
- LeBert, Squirrell JM, Rindy J, Broadbridge E, Lui Y, Zakrzewska A, Eliceiri KW2, Meijer AH, Huttenlocher A. Matrix metalloproteinase 9 modulates collagen matrices and wound repair. (2015). Development.142:2136-2146.
- Thimm TM, Squirrell JM, Liu Y, Eliceiri, KW, Ogle BM. (2015). Endogenous Optical Signals Reveal Changes of Elastin and Collagen Organization During Differentiation of Mouse Embryonic Stem Cells. Tissue Engineering PartC: Methods. 21:995-1004.
- Ajeti V, Lien C, Chen S, Su P, Squirrell JM, Molinarolo KH, Lyons GE, Eliceiri KW, Ogle BM, Campagnola PJ (2013). Image-inspired 3D multiphoton excited fabrication of extracellular matrix structures by modulated raster scanning. Optics Express 21(21):25346-55.