Jayne M. Squirrell, PHD
Position title: Senior Scientist, Molecular Biology
- Aligned Research Focus:
- Basic stem cell science
I am a senior research scientist in the UW Laboratory for Optical and Computational Instrumentation (LOCI), LOCI is a biophotonics research group directed by Kevin Eliceiri that develops novel computational and optical approaches for cell studies. At LOCI I combine my cell and developmental biology background with my significant experience in live cell imaging, particularly of embryonic development. I am interested in applying this expertise in a variety of areas related to development, stem cell differentiation and tissue regeneration. The collaborative research I conduct includes investigating potential metabolic “signatures” for cell differentiation state using fluorescence. I also study how the extracellular matrix impacts cell behavior and the ability of tissues to regenerate, with a particular focus on collagen re-organization during wound healing.
- Squirrell JM, Barros-Becker F, Burke R, Chini J, Rindy J, Karim A, Eliceiri KW, Gibson A, Huttenlocher A.(2020) Distinct tissue damage and microbial cues drive neutrophil and macrophage recruitment to thermal injury. iScience. 23:101699. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.isci.2020.101699
- Miskolci V, Squirrell JM, Rindy J, Vincent W, Sauer JD, Gibson A, Eliceiri KW, Huttenlocher A. (2019). Distinct inflammatory and wound healing responses to complex caudal fin injuries of larval zebrafish. eLIFE. 8:e45976. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7554/eLife.45976.
- Squirrell JM, LeBert, DC, Freisinger C, Rindy J, Golenberg N, Frecentese G, Gibson A, Eliceiri KW, Huttenlocher A. (2018) Damage-induced reactive oxygen species regulate vimentin and dynamic collagen-based projections to mediate wound repair. eLIFE. 7:e30703. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7554/eLife.30703.
- Huemer K, Squirrell JM, Swader R, LeBert DC, Huttenlocher A, Eliceiri KW. (2017). zWEDGI: Wounding and Entrapment Device for Imaging Live Zebrafish Larvae. Zebrafish. 14:42-50. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5312606/
- LeBert, Squirrell JM, Rindy J, Broadbridge E, Lui Y, Zakrzewska A, Eliceiri KW, Meijer AH, Huttenlocher A. Matrix metalloproteinase 9 modulates collagen matrices and wound repair. (2015). Development.142:2136-2146. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26015541/