Melissa Skala, PHD
Position title: Professor, Morgridge Institute for Research; Biomedical Engineering
- Organ System/Disease Focus:
- Eye; brain
- Aligned Research Focus:
- Optical imaging
Our goal is to develop optical imaging technologies and quantitative single-cell analysis to understand stem cell behavior, monitor and test engineered tissues. Our techniques are non-invasive and do not require labeling. Current technologies specifically monitor single-cell metabolism, microvessel morphology and blood flow, blood oxygenation, collagen content and architecture, and dynamic interplay between epithelial, stromal, and immune cells. We are particularly interested in organotypic cultures derived from primary human tissues for high-throughput drug screening, especially in cancer.
- Walsh AJ, Mueller KP, Tweed K, Jones I, Walsh CM, Piscopo NJ, Niemi NM, Pagliarini DJ, Saha K, Skala MC. Classification of T-cell activation via autofluorescence lifetime imaging. Nat Biomed Eng. 2020 Jul 27
- Datta R, Heaster TM , Sharick JT , Gillette AA , Skala MC. Fluorescence lifetime imaging microscopy: fundamentals and advances in instrumentation, analysis, and applications. J Biomed Opt, 2020
- Pasch CA, Favreau PF, Yueh AE, Babiarz CP, Gillette AA, Sharick JT, Karim MR, Nickel KP, DeZeeuw AK, Sprackling CM, Emmerich PB, DeStefanis RA, Pitera RT, Payne SN, Korkos DP, Clipson L, Walsh CM, Miller D, Carchman EH, Burkard ME, Lemmon KK, Matkowskyj KA, Newton MA, Ong IM, Bassetti MF, Kimple RJ, Skala MC, Deming DA. Patient-Derived Cancer Organoid Cultures to Predict Sensitivity to Chemotherapy and Radiation. Clin Cancer Res. 2019 Jun 7.
- Sharick JT, Jeffery JJ. Karim MR, Walsh CM, Esbona K, Cook RS, Skala MC. Cellular Metabolic Heterogeneity In Vivo Is Recapitulated in Tumor Organoids Neoplasia 21:6, June 2019, Pg 615-626.
- Sharick JT, Favreau PF, Gillette AA, Sdao SM, Merrins MJ, Skala MC. Protein-bound NAD(P)H Lifetime is Sensitive to Multiple Fates of Glucose Carbon Scientific Reports (2018) Vol. 8, Article number: 5456.