Nader Sheibani, PHD
Position title: Professor, Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences
- Organ System/Disease Focus:
- Retina/ Diabetic Retinopathy and Age-Related Macular Degeneration
- Aligned Research Focus:
- Vascular Cell Biology
My major research interest is how angiogenesis is regulated with a focus on the role of endogenous inhibitors of angiogenesis. We have recently become interested in potential contribution of endothelial progenitor cells in angiogenesis and what determines their appropriate differentiation to vascular cells during this process. We are also interested in the function of perivascular mesenchymal stems cells in angiogenesis and their dysfunction during diabetes.
- Gurel Z, Sheibani N. O-Linked β-N-acetylglucosamine (O-GlcNAc) modification: a new pathway to decode pathogenesis of diabetic retinopathy. Clin Sci (Lond). 2018 Jan 19;132(2):185-198.
- Falero-Perez J, Sorenson CM, Sheibani N. Cyp1b1-deficient retinal astrocytes are more proliferative and migratory and are protected from oxidative stress and inflammation. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2019 Jun 1;316(6):C767-C781.
- Ren J, Zhou T, Pilli VSS, Phan N, Wang Q, Gupta K, Liu Z, Sheibani N, Liu B. Novel Paracrine Functions of Smooth Muscle Cells in Supporting Endothelial Regeneration Following Arterial Injury. Circ Res. 2019 Apr 12;124(8):1253-1265.
- Falero-Perez J, Song YS, Zhao Y, Teixeira L, Sorenson CM, Sheibani N. Cyp1b1 expression impacts the angiogenic and inflammatory properties of liver sinusoidal endothelial cells. PLoS One. 2018 Oct 29;13(10):e0206756.
- Zaitoun IS, Cikla U, Zafer D, Udho E, Almomani R, Suscha A, Cengiz P, Sorenson CM, Sheibani N. Attenuation of Retinal Vascular Development in Neonatal Mice Subjected to Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy. Sci Rep. 2018 Jun 15;8(1):9166.