Eric G. Schmuck, PHD
Position title: Associate Scientist, Medicine
- Organ System/Disease Focus:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Aligned Research Focus:
- Cardio-regenerative medicine; Biomaterials; Stem cell tracking; Translational research studies
Dr. Schmuck is an Associate Scientist and Director of Translational Research for the Dr. Amish Raval Laboratory. His research centers around novel therapies for cardiac regeneration. They are studying novel biomaterials generated in their lab that have been shown to improve cardiac function alone or in combination with therapeutic stem cells. This innovative material is a cell derived extracellular matrix that is self-adherent to the heart, bioactive and bio-absorbable. In addition, our laboratory also focuses on translational animal models of cardiovascular disease and stem cell tracking.
- Schmuck EG, Mulligan JD, Ertel RL, Kouris NA, Ogle BM, Raval AN, Saupe KW. Cardiac fibroblast-derived 3D extracellular matrix seeded with mesenchymal stem cells as a novel device to transfer cells to the ischemic myocardium. Cardiovasc Eng Technol. 2014 Mar 1;5(1):119-131. PubMed PMID: 24683428; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3964807.
- Schmuck EG, Koch JM, Hacker TA, Hatt CR, Tomkowiak MT, Vigen KK, Hendren N, Leitzke C, Zhao YQ, Li Z, Centanni JM, Hei DJ, Schwahn D, Kim J, Hematti P, Raval AN. Intravenous Followed by X-ray Fused with MRI-Guided Transendocardial Mesenchymal Stem Cell Injection Improves Contractility Reserve in a Swine Model of Myocardial Infarction. J Cardiovasc Transl Res. 2015 Oct;8(7):438-48. doi: 10.1007/s12265-015-9654-0. Epub 2015 Sep 15. PubMed PMID: 26374144.
- Schmuck EG, Koch JM, Centanni JM, Hacker TA, Braun RK, Eldridge M, Hei DJ, Hematti P, Raval AN. Biodistribution and clearance of human Mesenchymal stem cells by quantiatitive three-dimensional cryo-imaging following intravenous infusion in a rat lung injury model. Stem Cells Translational Medicine, 2016, Jul 26. Pii: sctm.2015-0379. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 26971682; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4811186.
- Lalit PA, Salick MR, Nelson DO, Squirrell JM, Shafer CM, Patel NG, Saeed I, Schmuck EG, Markandeya YS, Wong R, Lea MR, Eliceiri KW, Hacker TA, Crone WC, Kyba M, Garry DJ, Stewart R, Thomson JA, Downs KM, Lyons GE, Kamp TJ. Lineage Reprogramming of Fibroblasts to Proliferative Induced Cardiac Progenitor Cells by Defined Factors. Cell Stem Cell, 2016 Mar 3;18(3): 354-67 (Epub ahead of print Feb 10 2016). PMID:26877223
- Bao X, Lian X, Hacker TA, Schmuck EG, Qian T, Bhute VJ, Han T, Shi M, Drowley L, Plowright A, Wang QD, Goumans MJ, Palecek SP. Long-term self-renewing human epicardial cells generated from pluripotent stem cells under defined xeno-free conditions. Nat Biomed Eng .2016;1. pii: 0003. doi: 10.1038/s41551-016-0003. Epub 2016 Dec 5. PubMed PMID: 28462012; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5408455.