Anna Huttenlocher, MD, PhD
Position title: Professor of Pediatrics and Medical Microbiology and Immunology
- Organ Focus/Disease Focus
- Wound healing Innate immunity and iPS derived neutrophils
- Aligned Research Focus
- Engineering of human iPS derived innate immune cells
We seek to understand how cell migration is regulated and how defects in cell migration contribute to human disease. Our recent work has centered on understanding how leukocytes are recruited to sites of tissue damage and resolution of inflammation by neutrophil reverse migration. Toward these goals her laboratory has developed tools to image and probe cell-cell interactions during innate immune responses and wound healing using zebrafish as a model system. We are also using human iPS derived neutrophils to engineer cells for better anti-microbial and anti-tumor function.
- Houseright RA, Miskolci V, Mulvaney O, Bortnov V, Mosher D, Rindy J, Bennin DA, Huttenlocher A. Myeloid derived growth factor regulates neutrophil motility in interstitial tissue damage. J Cell Biol 2021 Aug 2: 220: e202103054. PMID: 34047769; PMCID: PMC8167897.
- Miskolci V, Tweed KE, Lasarev MR, Britt EC, Walsh AJ, Zimmerman LJ, McDougal CE, Cronan MR, Fan J, Sauer JD, Skala MC and Huttenlocher A. In vivo life time fluorescence lifetime imaging of macrophage intracellular metabolism during wound responses in zebrafish. ELife 2022 Feb 24;11:e66080. Yoo SK, Starnes TW, Deng Q, Huttenlocher A. Lyn is a redox sensor that mediates leukocyte wound attraction in vivo. Nature. 2011 Nov 20;480(7375):109-12. PMID: 22101434; PMCID: PMC3228893.
- de Oliveira S, Rosowski EE, Huttenlocher A. Neutrophil migration in infection and wound repair: going forward in reverse. Nat Rev Immunol. 2016 May 27;16(6):378-91. Review. PubMed PMID: 27231052; PMCID: PMC5367630.
- LeBert D, Squirrell JM, Freisinger C, Rindy J, Golenberg N, Frecentese G, Gibson A, Eliceiri KW, Huttenlocher A. Damage-induced reactive oxygen species regulate vimentin and dynamic collagen-based projections to mediate wound repair. Elife. 2018 Jan 16;7. pii: e30703. PMID: 29336778; PMCID: PMC5790375.
- Miskolci V, Squirrell J, Rindy J, Vincent W, Sauer JD, Gibson A, Eliceiri KW, Huttenlocher A. Distinct inflammatory and wound healing responses to complex caudal fin injuries of larval zebrafish. Elife. 2019 Jul 1;8. pii: e45976. PMID: 31259685; PMCID: PMC6602581.