Shaoqin 'Sarah' Gong, PhD
Position title: Professor, Biomedical Engineering
- Organ System/Disease Focus:
- Cancers, vasculature diseases
- Aligned Research Focus:
- Nanobiomaterials, nanomedicine, drug delivery, tissue engineering, biosensors
Our research focuses on the design, synthesis/fabrication, and characterization of novel biomaterials, particularly nanobiomaterials, for various biomedical applications including drug delivery, tissue engineering scaffolding materials, and biosensors.
We are developing various types of multifunctional nanoplatforms (e.g., unimolecular micelles, polymer micelles and vesicles, and functionalized inorganic nanoparticles) in order to deliver therapeutic drugs and imaging contrast agents more specifically to the targeted/diseased tissues (e.g., cancers and vascular diseases), thereby greatly enhancing the efficacy of both diagnosis and therapy. We are also developing biodegradable hydrogels and polymeric particles for tissue engineering scaffolding applications. In addition, we have developed a number of biosensors exhibiting high sensitivity and specificity using functionalized nanoparticles such as graphene, gold, and mesoporous silica.
- Liu, F., Ma, F., Wang, Y., Hao, L., Zeng, H., Jia, C., Wang, Y., Liu, P., Ong, I., Li, B., Chen, G., Jiang, J., Gong, S., Li, L., and Xu, W., PKM2 Methylation by CARM1 Activates Aerobic Glycolysis to Promote Tumorigenesis, Nature Cell Biology, 19 (11), 1358-1370, 2017. DOI: 10.1038/ncb3630
- Chen, G., Ma, B., Xie, R., Wang, Y., Dou, K., and Gong, S., NIR-induced Spatiotemporally Controlled Gene Silencing by Upconversion Nanoparticle-Based siRNA Nanocarrier, Journal of Controlled Release. In Press, 2017.
- Zhang, K., Jung, Y.H., Mikael, S., Seo, J.H., Kim, M., Mi, H., Zhou, H., Xia, Z., Zhou, W., Gong, S., and Ma, Z., Origami Silicon Optoelectronics for Hemispherical Electronic Eye Systems, Nature Communication, 8 (1), 1782, 2017.
- Chen, G., Shi, X., Xie, R., Guo, L., Gong, S., and Kent, C., A Unimolecular Micelle-Based Hybrid System for Perivascular Drug Delivery Produces Long-Term Efficacy for Neointima Attenuation in Rats, Biomacromolecules, 18(7):2205-2213, 2017.
- Chen, G., Jaskula-Sztul, R., Esquibel, C.R., Lou, I., Zheng, Q., Dammalapati, A., Harrison, A., Eliceiri, K.W., Tang, W., Chen, H. and Gong, S., Neuroendocrine Tumor-Targeted Upconversion–Nanoparticle-Based Micelles for Simultaneous NIR-Controlled Combination Chemotherapy and Photodynamic Therapy, and Fluorescence Imaging, Advanced Functional Materials, 27 (8), 2017.