Timothy Gomez, PhD
Position title: Professor, Neuroscience
- Organ System/Disease Focus:
- Neural development; Neural regeneration; Tuberous Sclerosis and other autism spectrum disorders
The long-term objective of our research is to better understand the intracellular signaling cascades and effector mechanisms responsible for axon outgrowth and pathfinding in the developing central and peripheral nervous systems. For this we must understand how nerve growth cones detect, integrate and respond to soluble and substratum-associated guidance molecules. Mutations in genes involved in the detection and transduction of axon guidance information into directed neurite outgrowth are responsible for many deficits in cognitive function, including autisms, dyslexias and other learning disabilities. By studying the cellular, physiological and molecular mechanisms that govern normal axon outgrowth and guidance, we hope to identify potential sites of therapeutic intervention.
- Rempel, S.K., Welch, M.J., Ludwig, A.L., Phillips, J., Kancherla, Y., Zack, D.J., Gamm, D.M., and Gómez, T.M. (2022) Human photoreceptors switch from autonomous axon extension to cell-mediated process pulling during synaptic marker redistribution. Cell Reports. May 17;39(7). PMID: 35584680.
- Catlett, T.S., Onesto, M.M., McCann, A.J., Rempel, S.K., Glass, J., Franz, D.N., and Gómez, T.M. (2021) RhoA signaling defects result in impaired axon guidance in iPSC-derived neurons from patients with tuberous sclerosis complex. Nat. Commun. 12(1):2589.
- Nichol, R.H., Catlett, T.S., Hollender, D., Onesto, M.M. and Gomez, T.M. (2019) Environmental elasticity regulates cell-type specific RhoA signaling and neuritogenesis of human neurons. Stem Cell Reports. Dec 10;13(6):1006-1021. PMID: 31708476. Faculty of 1000 selection.
- Kerstein P.C., Patel K.M. and Gomez T.M.. (2017) Calpain-mediated proteolysis of Talin and FAK regulates adhesion dynamics necessary for axon guidance. J Neurosci. Jan 9.[Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28069919.
- Nichol, R.H., Hagen, K., Lumbard, D.C., Dent, E.W. and Gomez T.M. (2016) Guidance of axons by local coupling of retrograde flow to point contact adhesions. J Neurosci. 17 February; 36(7):2267-2282. [PMID: 26888936].
- Short, C.A., Suarez-Zayas, E.A. and Gomez T.M. (2016) Cell adhesion and invasion mechanisms that guide developing axons. Current opinion in Neuro. 39: 77-85. PMCID: PMC4987159
- Santiago-Medina, M., Gregus, K. A., Nichol, R.H. O’Toole, S.M. and Gomez T.M. (2015) Regulation of ECM degradation and axon guidance by growth cone invadosomes. Development, Feb 1, 142(3):486-496. Highlighted in Science magazine. Faculty of 1000 selection.PMCID: PMC4302990
- Doers M.E., Musser M.T., Nichol R., Baker M.W., Berndt E.R., Gomez T.M., Zhang S.C., Abbeduto L., Bhattacharyya A. (2014). Induced pluripotent stem cell derived forebrain neurons from FXS individuals show defects in initial neurite outgrowth. Stem Cells Dev. March 24. 23 (15): 1777-1787. PMCID: PMC4103262