Alexey V. Glukhov, PhD
Position title: Assistant Professor, Medicine
Phone: (608) 263-2069
8455 Wi Institute Medical Research
1111 Highland Ave
Madison, WI 53705
- Organ System/Disease Focus
- Cardiac arrhythmia mechanisms, structural heart remodeling, heart failure, atrial fibrillation, hypertension, sick sinus syndrome, pacemaker abnormalities
- Aligned Research Focus
- Basic stem cell science, stem cell maturation, stem cells as a platform to model human cardiac diseases
I am the recently appointed tenure-track Assistant Professor at Department of Medicine. My laboratory is within the Cellular and Molecular Arrhythmia Research Program (CMARP) involving multiple investigators working on a wide range of research projects, including stem cell science. Our research interests include the investigation of mechanisms involved in cardiac remodeling following hypertension, heart failure, and atrial fibrillation among multiple levels of cardiac signaling: from protein expression, phosphorylation, and sub-cellular localization, protein-protein interaction, to propagation and repolarization of an intact heart. Our group has several collaborative projects with SCRMC PIs, including Drs. Timothy Kamp, Lee Eckhardt (under UW2020: WARF Discovery Initiative Awards) and Carter Ralphe (under the recently awarded a New Investigator Program grant from the Wisconsin Partnership Program). The latter project aims to study cellular and molecular mechanisms of stretch-induced arrhythmogenesis and involves the use of human engineered cardiac tissue (ECTs) constructs which are generated from cardiomyocytes derived from human induced pluripotent stem cells mixed with human fibrin and cast into cylindrical constructs to form highly organized tissue strips. ECTs represent a highly-controlled three-dimensional construct that lead to high-precision, high-throughput, repeatable platforms to investigate cardiac electrophysiology and rapid assessment of disease-specific manifestations of arrhythmias and response to therapies.
- Alexanian R, Lalit P, Lang D, Lea M, Vaidyanathan R, Markandeya Y, Zhai A, Schmuck E, Eckhardt L, Glukhov A, Kamp TJ. Reporterless Reprogrammed Cardiac Progenitor Cells Attach, Migrate, and Repopulate Decellularized Whole Mouse Hearts. American Heart Association Scientific Sessions, November 12 – 15, 2016. New Orleans, LA, USA. Circulation. 2016; 134: A20576.
- Miragoli M, Glukhov AV. Atrial fibrillation and fibrosis: Beyond the cardiomyocyte centric view. BioMed Research International. 2015: 798768.
- Efimov IR, Fedorov VV, Glukhov A, Lou Q, Ambrosi C, Janks D, Hucker WJ, Kurian T, Schuessler RB, Moazami N. Multiscale imaging of the human heart: Building the foundation for human systems physiology and translational medicine. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2010; 1:5177-80.
- Glukhov AV, Fedorov VV, Lou Q, Ravikumar VK, Kalish PW, Schuessler RB, Moazami N, Efimov IR. Transmural dispersion of repolarization in failing and non-failing human ventricle. Circ Res. 2010; 106(5):981-91.
- Glukhov AV, Fedorov VV, Kalish PW, Ravikumar VK, Lou Q, Janks D, Schuessler RB, Moazami N, Efimov IR. Conduction remodeling in human end-stage nonischemic left ventricular cardiomyopathy. Circulation. 2012; 125:1835-184.