Wendy C. Crone, PHD
Position title: Professor, Engineering Physics
- Aligned Research Focus:
- Experimental mechanics, Biomaterials
Our group draws upon expertise in experimental mechanics, biomedical engineering, and materials science to investigate topics connected to biotechnology, biomaterials, and therapeutic medical devices. By developing device fabrication techniques, conducting materials characterization on a wide range of natural and polymeric materials for engineered systems, and using microscopy techniques for the measurement of cell/cell and cell/substrate mechanical interactions, our work has impacted stem cell science and engineering research. For example, our group has designed and fabricated cell culture platforms that are highly adaptable and relevant to fundamental research, drug discovery, and toxicity testing.
- N. Jiwlawat, E. Lynch, B.N. Napiwocki, A. Stempien, R.S. Ashton, T.J. Kamp, W.C. Crone, M. Suzuki, “Micropatterned substrates with physiological stiffness promote cell maturation and Pompe disease phenotype in human induced pluripotent stem cell-derived skeletal myocytes”, Biotechnology & Bioengineering, 2019. DOI 10.1002/bit.27075
- Mitch Biermann, Wenxuan Cai, Di Lang, Jack Hermsen, Luke Profio, Ying Zhou, Andras Czirok, Dona G. Isai, Brett N. Napiwocki, Adriana M. Rodriguez, Matthew E Brown, Marites T. Woon, Annie Shao, Tianxiao Han, Donglim Park, Gaoussou Diarra, Timothy A. Hacker, Wendy C. Crone, William J Burlingham, Alexey V. Glukhov, Ying Ge, Timothy J. Kamp, Polyinosinic-Polycytidylic Acid Primes Cardiac Progenitors from Human Pluripotent Stem Cells,” Stem Cells, 2019. DOI 10.1002/stem.3021
- J. Notbohm, B.N. Napiwocki, W.J. deLange, A. Stempien, A. Saraswathibhatla, R.J. Craven, M.R. Salick, J.C. Ralphe, W.C. Crone, “Two-Dimensional Culture Systems to Enable Mechanics-Based Assays for Stem Cell-Derived Cardiomyocytes”, Experimental Mechanics, 2019. DOI: 10.1007/s11340-019-00473-8
- Lalit, P.A., Salick, M.R., Nelson, D.O., Squirrell, J.M., Shafer, C.M., Patel, N.G., Saeed, I., Schmuck, E.G., Markandeya, Y.S., Wong, R., Lea, M.R., Eliceiri, K.W., Hacker, T., Crone, W.C., Kyba, M., Garry, D.J., Stewart, R., Thomson, J.A., Downs, K.M., Lyons, G.E. and T.J. Kamp, “Lineage Reprogramming of Fibroblasts to Proliferative Induced Cardiac Progenitor Cells by Defined Factors,” Cell Stem Cell. 18(3) 354-367, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.stem.2015.12.001
- M.R. Salick, B.N. Napiwocki, J. Sha, G.T. Knight, S.A. Chindhy, T.J. Kamp, R.S. Ashton, W.C. Crone, “Micropattern Width Dependent Sarcomere Development in Human ESC-Derived Cardiomyocytes,” Biomaterials, 35(15), 4454-4464, 2014.