Christian Capitini, MD
Assistant Professor, Pediatrics
- Organ System/Disease Focus:
- Graft-versus-tumor effect for pediatric malignancies/GVHD
- Aligned Research Focus:
- Allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplant
- Cell Therapy Could Reduce Bone-Marrow Transplant and Radiation Injury Complications 12 April 2017
- Against the odds: For children with resistant leukemia, immunotherapy offers hope 21 May 2018
Dr. Capitini focuses his research on using allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplant (alloHSCT) to cure pediatric cancers. The goal of this research is two-fold: to improve graft-vs.-tumor effects using immunotherapies that have potential to be translated into the clinic, and to reduce or eliminate graft-versus-host-disease (GVHD) through modulation of antigen presenting cells. Ongoing laboratory work is combining NK cells expanded with costimulatory molecules and gamma (c) cytokines with antibodies to stimulate NK cell proliferation and activation against several pediatric tumors in the alloHSCT setting. He is also developing MRI techniques to monitor NK cells in vivo. Clinically, Dr. Capitini is a site investigator for clinical trials studying chimeric antigen receptor (CAR)-modified T cells for relapsed leukemia.
- Kink JA, Forsberg MH, Reshetylo S, Besharat S, Childs C, PedersonJD, Graham M, Gendron-Fitzpatrick A, Bates PD, Schmuck EG, Raval A, Hematti P, Capitini CM: Macrophages Educated with Exosomes from Primed Mesenchymal Stem Cells Treat Acute Radiation Syndrome by Promoting Hematopoietic Recovery. Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, 2019 Nov;25(11):2124-2133.
- Zhu F, Zhang L, Bates PD, ZhangS, Guo H, Zhang H, Nomie KJ, Li Y, Lu L, Seibold KR, Wang F, Rumball I, Cameron H, Hoang NM, Yang DT, Xu W, Wang M, Capitini CM and Rui L: PRMT5 is upregulated by B cell receptor signaling and forms a positive feedback loop with PI3K/AKT in lymphoma cells.Leukemia, 2019 Dec;33(12):2898-2911.
- Hernandez R, Walker KL,Grudzinski JJ, Aluicio-Sarduy E, Patel R, Zahm CD, Pinchuk AN, Massey CF, Bitton AN, Brown RJ, Sondel PM, Engle J, Morris ZS, Engle JW, Capitini CM, Weichert JP: 90Y-NM600 TRT achieves complete responses associated with immunologic memory in syngeneic models of T-cell NHL. Communications Biology, 2019 Feb 26;2:79. PMCID: PMC6391402
- Kim M, Rao S, Eickhoff JC, DeSantes KB, Capitini CM: A retrospective analysis of antithrombin III replacement therapy for the treatment of hepatic sinusoidal obstruction syndrome in children following hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, 2019 Jan 22 [Epub ahead of print].
- Capitini CM: CAR-T immunotherapy – how will it change treatment for acute lymphoblastic leukemia and beyond? Expert Opinion on Orphan Drugs, 2018 6:10, 563-566. PMCID: PMC6375487