David J. Beebe, PhD
Position title: Professor, Biomedical Engineering
Basic cell culture techniques have changed little in almost a century. By far the most dominate format for cell culture is the Petri dish or similar (e.g. multi well plate). Slowly this is beginning to change as our ability to create materials, geometries and even systems at the cellular scale continues to grow and mature. At the same time, the importance of the three-dimensional microenvironment in cancer biology is increasingly demonstrated. We have begun to explore a variety of engineered in vitro microenvironments to probe the nature of cell interactions that regulate cell behavior. These environments range from in silico lineage models to three-dimensional co-culture constructs to simple convective-free culture systems to high throughput assay systems. While our particular interests center around cancer biology, the constructs have broad potential application across cell biology. Our goal is a holistic approach to understanding cell behavior that integrates in vitro cellular scale engineering to recapitulate important in vivo microenvironmental characteristics in ways that provide biological insights, aid in diagnosis/treatment and enhance discovery.
- Humayun M, Ayuso JM, Park KY, Martorelli Di Genova B, Skala MC, Kerr SC, Knoll LJ, Beebe DJ. Innate immune cell response to host-parasite interaction in a human intestinal tissue microphysiological system. Sci Adv. 2022 May 6;8(18):eabm8012. doi: 10.1126/sciadv.abm8012. Epub 2022 May 6. PubMed PMID: 35544643; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC9075809.
- Virumbrales-Muñoz M, Ayuso JM, Loken JR, Denecke KM, Rehman S, Skala MC, Abel EJ, Beebe DJ. Microphysiological model of renal cell carcinoma to inform anti-angiogenic therapy. Biomaterials. 2022 Apr;283:121454. doi: 10.1016/j.biomaterials.2022.121454. Epub 2022 Mar 11. PubMed PMID: 35299086; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC9254636.
- Sackmann E, Fulton A, Beebe DJ. The present and future role of microfluidics in biomedical research. Nature. 2014;507(7491):181-9. doi: 10.1038/nature13118. PubMed PMID: WOS:000332651800029
- Sperger JM, Strotman LN, Welsh A, Casavant BP, Chalmers Z, Horn S, Heninger E, Thiede S, Tokar J, Gibbs BK, Guckenberger DJ, Carmichael L, Dehm SM, Stephens PJ, Beebe DJ, Berry SM, Lang JM. Integrated analysis of multiple biomarkers from circulating tumor cells enabled by exclusion-based analyte isolation. Clin Cancer Res. 2016 Jul 11. pii: clincanres.1021.2016. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 2740124
- Zanotelli MR, Ardalani H, Zhang J, Hou Z, Nguyen EH, Swanson S, Nguyen BK, Bolin J, Elwell A, Bischel LL, Xie AW, Stewart R, Beebe DJ, Thomson JA, Schwartz MP, Murphy WL. Stable engineered vascular networks from human induced pluripotent stem cell-derived endothelial cells cultured in synthetic hydrogels. Acta Biomater. 2016. doi: 10.1016/j.actbio.2016.03.001. PubMed PMID: 26945632