Patrick C.H. Hsieh, MD, PHD
Position title: Visiting Professor
Phone: (608) 236-3788
Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Academia Sinica
128 Academia Road, Sec. 2, Nankang, Taipei 115, Taiwan
- Organ System/Disease Focus
- Cardiovascular disease, cancers
- Aligned Research Focus
- Cardiac and vascular regeneration, tissue engineering, nanomedicine, controlled drug delivery, translational research, cell therapy, human iPSC research and banking
For More Information:
Dr. Hsieh’s Webpage at Institute of Biomedical Science at the Academia Sinica
Although the field of cardiac stem cell therapy has significantly advanced over the past years, the premise of regenerating or replacing diseased human myocardium with functional tissue remains unsatisfied. The overall objective of our research is to promote myocardial stem cell therapy through nano-/micro-environmental engineering the intramyocardial stem cell niche for endogenous cardiac stem cells to reactivate, proliferate, differentiate and repopulate the diseased myocardium. Using a cardiac specific inducible Cre-Lox transgenic mouse strain, we have found that an endogenous cardiac stem cell pool may contribute to ~15% of new cardiomyocytes in the peri-infarcted area, saturated as early as within the first 2 weeks after infarction. Accordingly, we focus on (1) animal models to identify the source of this cardiac stem cell pool, and (2) methods to engineer the cardiac nano-/micro-environments for augmenting the regenerative signaling for spontaneous repair. Thus, we employ a team approach which brings together people from a broad variety of backgrounds, including stem biology, engineering and medicine . This combination has allowed us to work together and interact in a way traditionally not available at an individual laboratory or program.
- Tang TW, Chen HC, Chen CY, Yen CY, Lin CJ, Prajnamitra RP, Chen LL, Ruan SC, Lin JH, Lin PJ, Lu HH, Kuo CW, Chang CM, Hall AD, Vivas EI, Shui JW, Chen P, Hacker TA, Rey FE, Kamp TJ, Hsieh PC*. “Loss of gut microbiota alters immune system composition and cripples post-infarction cardiac repair.” Circulation 2019;139:647-659.
- Lundy DJ, Lee KJ, Peng IC, Hsu CH, Lin JH, Chen KH, Tien YW, Hsieh PC*. “Inducing a transient increase in blood brain barrier permeability for improved liposomal drug therapy of glioblastoma multiforme”. ACS Nano. 2019;13:97-113.
- Hsieh PC*, Kamp TJ*. “To be young at heart”. Cell Stem Cell 2018;22:475-476.
- Cheng YY, Yan YT, Lundy DJ, Lo AH, Wang YP, Ruan SC, Lin PJ, Hsieh PC*. “Reprogramming-derived gene cocktail increases cardiomyocyte proliferation for heart regeneration”. EMBO Mol Med. 2017;9:251-264.
- Wu PJ, Cheng B, Roffler SR*, Lundy DJ, Yen CY, Chen P, Lai JJ, Pun SH, Stayton PS, Hsieh PC*. “Reloadable multi-drug capturing delivery system for targeted ischemic disease treatment”. Sci Transl Med. 2016;8:365ra160.