Ian D. Duncan, BMVS, PhD
Position title: Professor, Veterinary Medicine, Medical Sciences
- Organ System/Disease Focus:
- Inherited and acquired disorders of CNS myelin
Dr. Duncan is the Sir William Lee Weipers Professor of Veterinary Medicine, Medical Sciences.
My laboratory works on disorders of myelination of the CNS and remyelination of the brain and spinal cord in genetic and acquired disorders of myelin. We compare the efficacy of endogenous stem cells or oligodendrocyte progenitor cells (OPCs) in myelin repair compared to remyelination that results from supplying these cells from exogenous sources. We have studied in detail, the isolation, characterization and expansion of OPCs from embryonic stem cells and neural stem cells of human and animal origin. Our long-term goal is to use a well characterized and expandable population of human OPCs in a clinical trial of focal myelin repair in multiple sclerosis.
- Zhang S-C, Wernig M, Duncan ID, Brüstle O, Thomson JA. In vitro differentiation of transplantable neural precursors from human embryonic stem cells. Nat. Biotech., 2001 19(12):1129-1133.
- Duncan ID. Oligodendrocytes and stem cell transplantation: their potential in the treatment of leukoencephalopathies. J. Inherit. Metab. Dis. 2005 28(3), 357-368.
- Duncan ID, Brower A, Kondo Y, Curlee Jr. J, Schultz R. Extensive remyelination of the CNS leads to functional recovery. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 2009 106(16), 6832-6836.
- Duncan ID, Kondo Y, Zhang SC. The myelin mutants as models to study myelin repair in the leukodystrophies. Neurotherapeutics. 2011, 8, 607-624.
- Kondo Y, Ramaker JM, Radcliff AB, Baldassari S, Mayer JA, Ver Hoeve JN, Chiu SY, Zhang CL, Colello RJ, and Duncan ID. Spontaneous optic nerve compression in the osteopetrotic (op/op) mouse: a novel model of myelination failure. J. Neuroscience. 2013, 33, 3514-3525.
- Smith CM, Mayer JA, and Duncan ID Autophagy promotes oligodendrocyte survival and function following dysmyelination and demyelination in a long-lived myelin mutant. . J. Neuroscience 2013, 33, 8088-8100.