Organ System/Disease Focus:
Aligned Research Focus:
Dr. Capitini's research focuses on using preclinical mouse models of allogeneic blood and marrow transplant (alloBMT) to cure pediatric leukemias and solid tumors with tumor-directed immunotherapeutic therapies such as dendritic cell vaccines, adoptive NK cell and T cell-based infusions. The goal of this research is to both improve presently used biological therapies in clinical alloBMT, such as donor lymphocyte infusion (DLI), as well as develop novel immune-based therapies that have potential to be translated into the clinic.
- Capitini CM, Otto M, DeSantes KB, Sondel PM. Immunotherapy in pediatric malignancies: current status and future perspectives Future Oncology. 2014. In press. DOI: 10.2217/FON.14.62
- Capitini CM, Nasholm NM, Chien CD, Larabee SM, Qin H, Song YK, Klover PJ, Hennighausen L, Khan J, Fry TJ. Absence of STAT1 in donor-derived plasmacytoid dendritic cells results in increased STAT3 and attenuates murine GVHD. Blood. 2014 Jul 25. pii: blood-2013-05-500876. [Epub ahead of print]
- Shand JC, Qin H, Nasholm N, Capitini CM, Fry TJ. Minor antigen distribution predicts site-specific graft-versus-tumor activity of adoptively transferred, minor antigen-specific CD8 T Cells. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2014 Jan;20(1):26-36.
- Lockridge JL, Zhou Y, Becker YA, Ma S, Kenney SC, Hematti P, Capitini CM, Burlingham WJ, Gendron-Fitzpatrick A, Gumperz JE. Mice engrafted with human fetal thymic tissue and hematopoietic stem cells develop pathology resembling chronic graft-versus-host disease. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2013 Sep;19(9):1310-22.
- Capitini CM, Nasholm NM, Duncan BB, Guimond M, Fry TJ. Graft-versus-host disease impairs vaccine responses through decreased CD4+ and CD8+ T cell proliferation and increased perforin-mediated CD8+ T cell apoptosis. J Immunol. 2013 Feb 1;190(3):1351-9.