Organ System/Disease Focus:
Aligned Research Focus:
Dr. Capitini focuses his research on using allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplant (alloHSCT) to cure pediatric cancers. The goal of this research is two-fold: to improve graft-vs.-tumor effects using immunotherapies that have potential to be translated into the clinic, and to reduce or eliminate graft-versus-host-disease (GVHD) through modulation of antigen presenting cells. Ongoing laboratory work is combining NK cells expanded with costimulatory molecules and gamma (c) cytokines with antibodies to stimulate NK cell proliferation and activation against several pediatric tumors in the alloHSCT setting. He is also developing MRI techniques to monitor NK cells in vivo. Clinically, Dr. Capitini is a site investigator for clinical trials studying chimeric antigen receptor (CAR)-modified T cells for relapsed leukemia.
- Wolfe AD, Capitini CM, Salamat SM, DeSantes K, Bradley KA, Kennedy T, Dehner LP, Patel NJ: Neck rhabdoid tumors: Clinical features and consideration of autologous stem cell transplant. Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology. 2017 Apr 3 [Epub ahead of print]. PMCID: pending
- Bouchlaka MN, Moffitt AB, Kim J, Kink JA, Bloom DD, Love C, Dave S, Hematti P,Capitini CM: Human mesenchymal stem cell-educated macrophages are a distinct high IL-6 producing subset that confer protection in graft-versus-host-disease and radiation injury models. Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation 2017 Feb 28. pii: S1083-8791(17)30306-3. PMCID: pending
- Elsaid M, Capitini CM, Diamond CA, Porte M, DeSantes KB: Successful matched unrelated donor stem cell transplant in Hemoglobin Bart’s disease. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2016 June 13, [ePub ahead of print] PMID: 27295273 PMCID: PMC5096454
- Li Y*, Bouchlaka MN*, Wolff J, Grindle KM, Lu L, Qian S, Zhong X, Pflum N, Jobin P, Kahl BS, Eickhoff JC, Wuerzberger-Davis SM, Miyamoto S, Thomas CJ, Yang DT#, Capitini CM#, Rui L#: FBXO10 Deficiency and BTK Activation Upregulate BCL2 Expression in Mantle Cell Lymphoma. Oncogene 2016 May 9. [epub ahead of print] PMID: 27157620. PMCID: PMC5102814 * = co-first authors, # = co-senior authors.
- Bouchlaka MN, Ludwig KD, Gordon JW, Kutz MP, Bednarz B, Fain SB, Capitini CM: 19F-MRI for monitoring human NK cells in vivo. Oncoimmunology 2016; 5(5):e1143996. PMCID: PMC4910731