Organ System/Disease Focus:
Aligned Research Focus:
My lab has recently begun is developing methods to track stem cells in vivo using MRI. To this end, we have been collaborating with Professor Masatoshi Suzuki to use a reagent consisting of fluorine nanoparticles contained in a coated membrane which is endocytosed by cells. This approach is advantageous because the 19F MRI hardware used for this purpose is sensitive solely to this isotope which does not exist endogenously. So we are able to attribute any signal that we detect to the nanoparticles. We are now in the early stages of performing critical toxicity studies and completing a sensitivity analysis to determine how many of the particles will be required to detect a signal. Through our collaboration with Professor Svendsen, we have also been investigating a genetic manipulation of cells to produce ferritin. Ferritin is an iron storage protein. When cells begin producing it, excess endogenous iron binds the protein allowing for in vivo visualization of the cells of interest. We have recently acquired in vitro MR images to detect ferritin producing cells. The biggest advantage of this approach is that when ferritin is stably expressed, cells can be monitored long term.
- Ferrazzano P, Shi Y, Manhas N, Wang Y, Hutchinson B, Chen X, Chanana V, Gerdts J, Meyerand ME, Sun D. (2011) Inhibiting the Na+/H+ exchanger reduces reperfusion injury: a small animal MRI study. Front Biosci (Elite Ed). 3:81-8. PMC3074106
- Cengiz P, Uluc K, Kendigelen P, Akture E, Hutchinson E, Song C, Zhang L, Lee J, Budoff GE, Meyerand E, Sun D, Ferrazzano P. (2011) Chronic Neurological Deficits in Mice after Perinatal Hypoxia and Ischemia Correlate with Hemispheric Tissue Loss and White Matter Injury Detected by MRI. Dev Neurosci. 24. PMC3225248
- Koay CG, Hurley SA, Meyerand ME. (2011) Extremely efficient and deterministic approach to generating optimal ordering of diffusion MRI measurements. Med Phys. 38(8):4795-801. PMC3172961
- Bernau K, Lewis CM, Petelinsek AM, Benink HA, Zimprich CA, Meyerand ME, Suzuki M, Svendsen CN. In vivo tracking of human neural progenitor cells in the rat brain using bioluminescence imaging.(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24675049) J Neurosci Methods. 2014 May 15;228:67-78. doi: 10.1016/j.jneumeth.2014.03.005. Epub 2014 Mar 24. PMID: 24675049 [PubMed - in process]
- Chakravarty R, Valdovinos HF, Chen F, Lewis CM, Ellison PA, Luo H, Meyerand ME, Nickles RJ, Cai W. Intrinsically Germanium-69-Labeled Iron Oxide Nanoparticles: Synthesis and In Vivo Dual-Modality PET/MR Imaging.(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24944166) Adv Mater. 2014 Jun 18. doi: 10.1002/adma.201401372. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24944166 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]