Organ System/Disease Focus:
Aligned Research Focus:
Tenneille Ludwig currently serves as Director of the WiCell Stem Cell Bank, which includes the Stem Cell Core. She obtained a bachelor's degree in animal sciences in 1992 and a master's degree in reproductive endocrinology in 1994 from Washington State University prior to completing a Ph.D. in embryology and developmental biology with a minor in bioethics from UW–Madison in 2001. Her subsequent work in the laboratory of Dr. James Thomson (2001-2007) focused primarily on the optimization of cell culture conditions, and resulted in the development of the first defined, feeder-independent culture system for human embryonic stem cells (TeSR/mTeSR). From 2005 to 2010 Dr. Ludwig served as the director of distribution for the U.S. National Stem Cell Bank operated at WiCell. Dr. Ludwig’s primary research interest continues to be focused on improving human pluripotent (ES and iPS) cell culture and banking.
- Stacey GN, Crook JM, Hei D, Ludwig T. Banking human induced pluripotent stem cells: lessons learned from embryonic stem cells? Cell Stem Cell. 2013 Oct 3;13(4):385-8. doi: 10.1016/j.stem.2013.09.007. PubMed PMID: 24094320.
- Luong MX, Auerbach J, Crook JM, Daheron L, Hei D, Lomax G, Loring JF, Ludwig T, Schlaeger TM, Smith KP, Stacey G, Xu RH, Zeng F. A call for standardized naming and reporting of human ESC and iPSC lines. Cell Stem Cell. 2011 Apr 8;8(4):357-9. doi: 10.1016/j.stem.2011.03.002. PubMed PMID: 21474098.
- Ludwig TE, Bergendahl V, Levenstein ME, Yu J, Probasco MD, Thomson JA. Feeder-independent culture of human embryonic stem cells. Nat Methods. 2006 Aug;3(8):637-46. Erratum in: Nat Methods. 2006 Oct;3(10):867. PubMed PMID: 16862139.
- Ludwig TE, Levenstein ME, Jones JM, Berggren WT, Mitchen ER, Frane JL, Crandall LJ, Daigh CA, Conard KR, Piekarczyk MS, Llanas RA, Thomson JA. Derivation of human embryonic stem cells in defined conditions. Nat Biotechnol. 2006 Feb;24(2):185-7. Epub 2006 Jan 1. PubMed PMID: 16388305.
- International Stem Cell Initiative Consortium, Akopian V, Andrews PW, Beil S, Benvenisty N, Brehm J, Christie M, Ford A, Fox V, Gokhale PJ, Healy L, Holm F, Hovatta O, Knowles BB, Ludwig TE, McKay RD, Miyazaki T, Nakatsuji N, Oh SK, Pera MF, Rossant J, Stacey GN, Suemori H. Comparison of defined culture systems for feeder cell free propagation of human embryonic stem cells. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. 2010 Apr;46(3-4):247-58. doi: 10.1007/s11626-010-9297-z. Epub 2010 Feb 26. PubMed PMID: 20186512; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2855804.